Thursday, August 6, 2009

Sweet



They may not always be kind and loving to each other, but I think having brothers and sisters can teach you some of the best lessons in unselfishness and love. Reportedly, I was a kind sister until I reached puberty, but, even in the midst of those tumultuous years, I gleaned a few life lessons from my siblings.

My brother Jonathan taught me: it's easier to get along with your parents if you don't talk back. They might mistake your quick wit for sass.

My sister Sarah taught me: not to take for granted that you know a person and their potential - they might be blooming into your best friend.

Becky taught me: if you don't care that someone is teasing you - you are unteasable. (That was always such a let-down to me.)

Rachel taught me: not to try to change people into yourself. It's our differences that make us interesting. If everyone were alike, we'd just as well sit around talking to ourselves.

Little James (yes, I know you're an adult now) taught me: that sometimes you have to grab onto someone's leg and not let go, to show that you want their attention.

So far, seeing my kids learning to enjoy and be kind to little children and babies is what I love most about having a large family. I'm going to have to keep lots of younger nieces and nephews around when Boo and Cozette are older. I wouldn't want them to miss out on that...since Tony probably won't let me keep having babies forever.

1 comment:

  1. Those are some good life lessons. Now I'm trying to think if I learned anything useful from my siblings...

    ReplyDelete