...all you need is 3 sheets of scrapbook paper, a sponge brush, a composition book (or twenty) and some Modge Podge (school glue is substitutable - but not as awesome).
First, I cut my 2 cover papers down to 9 x 12" each and my inside paper (which is usually cheaper 8 1/2 x 11" cardstock) in half, making two 8 1/2 x 5 1/2" pieces.
Questions? No? Good.
I then sponge-brush ample amounts of Modge on one side of the cover. (You can be more generous with it, depending on the thickness of your paper.)
I line up my 9x12" paper with the black binding, center it, and smooth it onto the cover.
I let mine sit a bit, while I do the previous steps on 4 or 5 other books. :) I then open up the cover and cut the corners off at an angle, leaving just a 1/4" or so of paper at the corners. (Oh, add scissors to your materials list. Oops.)
Like so!
Apply modge to the overhanging paper on one side and the corner bit.
Fold in the corner paper...
...and smooth down the side.
After modge-gluing both sides down, make sure everything is nice and tucked in. Then glue down the end. As my Sofia says, it's just like wrapping a Christmas present.
...but with glue...and we hope it will be REALLY hard to unwrap.
The hard part's behind you now! Grab one of your 8 1/2 x 5 1/2 inside pieces, modge/glue the NOT pretty side and use it to cover up that big, empty, ugly place on the inside of your cover.
I like to modge around the edges of it - just so those edges stay pretty longer and hopefully don't dog-ear.
You want to let your book sit open until your glue is all clear and dried. This is where it's good to have 5 or 6 books in the works at time...or to be cooking dinner in between steps.
Once everything is good and dry, repeat on the back cover.
Label and decorate as desired...and then modge the heck out of that too. (I know - I have a problem.)
Annika labelled this herself...and it's actually quite legible when the flash isn't glaring off of the shiny finish. :)
There. Now go make something.


Super cute! I'm too boring of a mom to do this for my kids. I might suggest it to them as friend gifts though.
ReplyDelete:) Courtney
What a wonderful improvement. So fun and personal to take to school!
ReplyDeleteCute! Can't wait to try. You need to add "composition book" to the list of supplies-- I was reading through thinking, "Sweet, I have everything that I'll need!" Then I realized that I don't have any comp. books :(
ReplyDeleteI'm going to make one for each of the kids in Chick's co-op preschool :)
Paige
Paige: Ha ha! Typical me. Fixed it. -Annalia
ReplyDeleteYou are a Wild Woman with the ModPodge!!!
ReplyDeleteI must confess that last night, while I was supposed to be packing and cleaning ... I set aside comp books and paper for a project (or 10!). You are a bad influence ;-)
Cute! It's too bad boys don't really care about cutesy composition books. They were just thrilled that I accidentally bought some that were graph paper instead of lined. ;o)
ReplyDeleteOk, I got comp books...but decided that my paper isn't cute enough, so I need to go get some before I can do the project. -Paige
ReplyDelete